THE commercial snapper fishing season has closed early in the South East, following an also early closure of the recreational season, after 100 per cent of the snapper quota was successfully caught.
The recreational season closed on March 10, while the commercial season closed on April 1.
Primary Industries and Regional Development Minister David Basham said the strong demand for snapper demonstrated the critical importance of the SA government’s tough 2019 decision to close the snapper fishery to allow depleted populations to recover.
He said it was important to allow snapper populations to rebuilt “so our children and grandchildren will be able to catch snapper”.
Mr Basham said very limited snapper fishing had been allowed in the South…